Monday, September 14, 2009

The Amnio Preliminary Results

Sacred Heart contacted us today (after a weekend of worry) and let us know of the amniocentesis findings. The chromosomes responsible for Trisomy 13 & 18 (both fatal) and Trisomy 21 (otherwise known as Down Syndrome) look normal in their current state. This is tenative, hopeful news. There are still other chromosomes to test but so far the idea that whatever condition her brain is in is safe enough to sustain some form of life is an exciting change of pace. We've been so worried that she wouldn't have the capacity to survive outside of the womb because of these certain chromosomes we had never heard of. As of today, we're optimistic and don't believe her brain will be the cause of her demise. No Trisomy 13. No Trisomy 18. No Downs.

The cleft lip is still a factor. Dr Dobak worried that it was caused by a chromosomal defect, but has so far found nothing of the sort. We still have a week or so to wait and see what the other chromosomes show.

The last hurdle she has is her heart/lungs. Because of the diaphragmatic hernia, her heart is putting considerable strain on her lungs and there is still fear that her organs wont develop fully because of this. Now that the idea of Trisomy is out, we expect her to undergo heart/lung surgery shortly after birth (granted, she makes it). There is still the constant threat of passing in the womb and I'm excited every day that I feel her move. Moving limbs means her heart is still pumping and it's all I have to hang on to right now.

I have already picked a casket, a funeral home and have begun designating a charity for donations during the services. With everything in place, I think I'll stop focusing on what needs to be done in the case of her passing and start to revel in the semi-good news we've received. She's still in more danger than any baby should ever be, but now at least we're skeptical of her death.

On a different note, I've had a lot of questions about her name, so I'll explain here. Beckett, her first name, isn't the most feminine, but its a strong, distinct name that I'll never forget. Etalei is an original name and is pronounced Et (get, sans the 'g') - uh - lay. Et-uh-lay. Etalei.

Our next appointment is with Breland and is only three days away. I have more questions for him concerning the growth of her organs and how we can help. I remember giving Sephire steroids in the womb to assist his lungs, but I'm not sure that's applicable in Beckett's case. I'll update you then. Thank you for your letters and comments.

1 comment: